Old Rock Church
Cranfills Gap, Texas
Old St. Olaf’s Church, also known as the Old Rock Church, exists in a remarkable state of preservation. Few modifications have been made to the building since its original construction in 1886, and power, water and other modern amenities have never been introduced. A sacred and inspiring place, the church is open to the public on a daily basis as a rare example of 19th Century life in Texas.
In 2008, the congregation hired Architexas to complete a master plan for the church. Their goals were the restoration of the church and the establishment of a new support facility in order to preserve the historic setting while making it a more viable venue for weddings, special events and other organized visitation.
Architexas and its consultants conducted a detailed survey and analysis of the historic Old Rock Church to determine existing conditions and prepare preservation, restoration and rehabilitation recommendations. The resulting Master Plan described both the condition of the church and recommendations for its restoration, and presents a conceptual design for a new support pavilion to be located to the east of the church. The congregation has since utilized the Master Plan in the successful restoration of the church building and partial restoration of the site.