First Presbyterian Church of Dallas
The First Presbyterian Church of Dallas is a significant historical, cultural and community landmark, having served its spiritual community and the city as a whole for more than 100 years. Designed by Dallas Architect C.D.Hill and constructed in 1912-1913, the sanctuary is one of Dallas’ finest buildings, standing in a prominent location in an area of downtown that is experiencing a positive rejuvenation. As with most significant historic sites, changes made to the building since its construction reflects historical shifts in social, ecumenical and stylistic trends. While the exterior is well preserved, these historical shifts are illustrated most significantly in renovations to the sanctuary’s interior conducted in 1959 and in the 1980’s. Despite these changes, the sanctuary retains many of its most significant character-defining features.
Architexas is providing architectural and historic preservation services for the interior rehabilitation of the sanctuary that restores many of the lost or altered historic features, finishes and furnishings while accommodating the new worship needs and worship styles of the church. The approach was based on extensive historic research and interpretation to create the new design for the sanctuary and narthex based on original historic design. This approach includes new historically compatible ecumenical chancel furnishings including the altar, pulpit and font and restoration of the significant art glass dome.