University of Texas at Austin Arno Nowotny Building

Austin, Texas
The Arno Nowotny Building, constructed in 1857, is one of the earliest buildings on the University of Texas at Austin campus. The site is known as “Little Campus”, which includes the Arno Nowotny Building and Hargis Hall, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The two story limestone and brick masonry building was designed and built in the Italianate Style by architect Abner H. Cook, who is well known for several other historic buildings including the Governor’s Mansion and the Neil-Cochran House. The building was significantly modified and served several purposes during its existence, from the Texas Asylum for the Blind to a men’s dormitory and military barracks during WWI. In 1984 the building was restored to its original 1857 appearance following a major campaign to save the building from demolition.

Architexas was hired by the University of Texas to prepare a conditions assessment report on the exterior of the building and to subsequently prepare construction documents to restore the exterior. Major elements of the building were fully reconstructed during the 1984 restoration including the east and west wings with south facing porches, the main roof and cupola including the wood cornice, and the south porch off the main central structure.

  • Full architectural services
  • Historic preservation services
Awards & Recognitions